Leftovers: Vogue 1247 skirt

Vogue 1247

I always seem to overestimate how much fabric I need for any project and end up with a piece left over that’s too big to throw away but too small to do a lot with. The skirt from Vogue 1247 (sadly now out of print)  is a great use for such leftovers. I got this one out of a 70cm length of 150cm wide grey denim left over from my Burda 115 12/2009 trousers. Come to think of it, exactly the same thing happened with the leftovers from my previous version of those trousers. The denim was from Truro Fabrics but is now sold out.

Here’s the line art. I have never made the top, but the pattern is worth tracking down for the skirt alone. It is a simple style but beautifully implemented. Most importantly, it has pockets! And they are not an afterthought but an integral part of the design. Incidentally I’ve just noticed that the line art of the back view has a mistake. The zip doesn’t actually run to the top of the waistband. Instead the waistband has an underlap and closes with a hook and bar. The zip stops just below it as you’d expect.

Vogue 1247 line art

The original skirt pattern is seriously short. My version is lengthened by something like six inches. Admittedly I’m pretty tall but I don’t normally have to add length below the waist on any Vogue pattern. The original also has next-to-no ease. If you’re making this, check the finished garment measurements before picking a size; I found I needed to go one bigger than I usually do.

The original skirt has seams finished with bias binding throughout. It’s a beautiful effect but very time consuming to do. It’s much quicker to line the skirt than bind all the seams and in fact I prefer it lined. The first time I made this pattern I did the bound seams but that version of the skirt sticks to my tights and rides up. The lined versions don’t. This one’s lined with a large scrap of black satin lining I had left over from another project. I think it might be The Lining Company’s acetate/viscose satin.

I also used the lining fabric for the front pocket bags. The back pocket bags were cut out of the denim. The original pattern has the back pocket bag pieces cut in one with the skirt yoke but I cut them separately to save fabric. I also interfaced the front yoke just above the pockets to try to avoid any sagging and it seems to have worked.

Vogue 1247

I added some yellow topstitching to this version of the skirt. It’s just about visible in the photos. The grey denim needs the extra interest. I topstitched the yoke seam on the panels before inserting the zip or sewing the side seams so I had to be very careful about matching the topstitching lines up afterwards. Later I realized that I could have done it the other way around, sewing one continuous line of topstitching around the yoke starting and finishing at the centre back zip after I’d put the skirt together completely. This would probably have been easier to do. The eye is drawn to the topstitching and not the seamlines so it also would have disguised any failure to match the seamlines precisely at the side seams and centre back.

Vogue 1247

I expect I’ll make another version of this pattern any time I have a suitable leftover piece of fabric. The pockets are nicely roomy, it’s comfortable to wear, and if you skip the seam binding it’s a pretty fast sew.

Vogue 1247

Notes:

 

  • Vilene H250 interfacing on waistband, zip seam allowances, and front yoke above pockets. It was probably too heavy for the zip allowances.
  • YKK invisible zip, somewhat longer than the original pattern called for
  • Size 90 denim needle for main seams
  • Size 100 denim needle and Gutermann 968 denim gold top-stitch thread for top-stitching
  • Single row of topstitching on yoke seam and hem. Double row on side seams. None on waistband because it’s such a high waisted style it’s not visible

 

16 thoughts on “Leftovers: Vogue 1247 skirt

    1. Thanks! The top is a Burda pattern but I screwed up tracing it and the sleeves came out much shorter than they were meant to. I like the effect now but it was pure chance. It’s model 109 from 10/2015 .

  1. Every version of this skirt always turns out beautifully and looks so amazing! Isn’t it great to have a go to pattern for using up smaller cuts? And this pairs so well with your top.

  2. It’s a great looking outfit. Are the lower panels on the back of the top cut on bias? There are lots of interesting things going on that keep the monotone colour scheme from being dull- the yellow topstitching, curved hem and seam lines of the top with the draping collar.

  3. I’m the opposite, I’ve made the top twice but never managed the skirt. It’s clearly a lovely design though, the topstitching is a nice touch. I love the top half, it’s best in a soft fabric like a rayon. Also like your version of the Burda. I’ve made it from a very heavy sweater knit, which I like but it’s not something I like to wear everyday, your version looks more versatile. The horizontal seaming on the two patterns suit each other.

  4. Great job on the skirt. The top looks good with it. I like the idea of interfacing the top front portion of the skirt. My first version sags in an unflattering way and I thought it might be a fitting issue. I’ll double check the fit but certainly interface next time. Thanks for the idea.

  5. I love this pattern! And love the idea of topstitching on it to highlight some of the features. You’re right that its a great scrap buster…I hadn’t thought of it before but that’s a good tip to cut the pocket bags separately. I’m going to have a rummage through my annoying leftovers now!

  6. This is a great skirt pattern – very popular around the blogosphere for very good reason. I always feel good when I manage to get a garment from leftovers. Your outfit looks great.

Comments are closed.