This is my version of Vogue 1390, a Sandra Betzina Today’s Fit pattern. I say ‘my version’ because while I didn’t alter the design I made a lot of changes to the method of construction. But the style lines are what really count and the reason why this pattern’s been on my to-sew list ever since it came out. Here’s the line art:
I combined the colour blocking, lining, and neckline of view A with the tucked front panel of view B. My tucks are more numerous and narrower than the those in the pattern. They were such an effort to sew they got their own post. But apart from the tucks the dress comes together very quickly indeed because there are no closures.
The shell fabrics are a medium weight linen/cotton blend from Truro Fabrics in black and charcoal. The lining is a fairly heavyweight black acetate/viscose satin from The Lining Company that I had left over from another project. There’s no interfacing other than around the pocket edges.
I think the line art misses one minor aspect of the style: the bottom bands look rectangular in the drawing but the pattern pieces narrow slightly towards the hem, giving the dress a very subtle egg shape. It’s just about visible in the picture below. I like the effect; it adds a little extra interest while still being very wearable.
The back of my dress is very plain. I very much admire Angela’s lovely version of this pattern at Collected yarns which has tucks on the back too, but I haven’t the patience to make two tucked panels.
I added very tiny horizontal pockets in the side panels. I would have liked them bigger, but the width of the side panel limits them. I made them just deep enough to hold my phone; any deeper and small items would slip down beyond the reach of my fingers. With 20/20 hindsight it might have been better to add larger vertical pockets in the side panel seam but I was worried they might sag and spoil the line.
So what did I change in the construction?
The pattern as designed uses an unusual method where each side panel is cut twice and the two parts seamed together at the bottom edge. The front and back hem bands are cut double with a foldline at the bottom edge. They are attached to the front and back panels and those units are then seamed to the side panels. As everything is already finished at the bottom edge by this stage there is no need to construct a hem. As a confirmed hater of hemming I completely approve of this method, but I also had doubts about my ability to join the panels accurately enough to avoid a step at the panel seams. I was also worried the seam allowances might poke out at the hem as there would be nothing covering them.
I ended up using a much more traditional construction with single layer side and hem panels and deep facings around the bottom edge. The dress lining is bagged: attached to the yoke facings and armscyes according to the pattern instructions, but then machined to the hem facings via a gap left in one of lining seams, which is subsequently top-stitched shut. The armscyes are finished with bias strips which are top-stitched down. Facings would have been possible there too but the top-stitching doesn’t show much in these colours. There isn’t a single hand-stitch in this dress.
As usual with Vogue I made one size smaller than the size chart suggested. That normally works out fine but on this one I could do with a bit more ease at the bust. If I make it again I’ll go up a size or do a full bust adjustment; Today’s Fit is sized for a more straight up and down figure than Misses so it’s my own fault for not checking the chart more carefully before picking a size. I didn’t make any fitting changes to the pattern other than adding my usual two inches to the length above the waist.
I am very happy with this dress. The design is beautiful and it was fun to sew. Might be a while before I make anything else with tucks though.
19 thoughts on “Vertical lines: Vogue 1390 finished”
Beautiful job!! The fit, the fabrics – perfect!! I like how you kept the tucks just to the front; the back looks lovely as is. I don’t know how this pattern flew under my radar, but it’s definitely on there now! 🙂
Stunning dress. Everything you did turned out just right for a unique garment.
Wonderful work and artistry!
I love what you did with this dress and leaving the back plain works for this dress! It’s awesome!
This turned out so good. I love the phone pockets.
This looks great! The tucks really make the dress!
Beautiful dress! I admire your tucks, but I am glad I took the lazy way out by using pre-tucked fabric;) I love your color-blocking, and especially like the way you added the pockets. Thanks for the shout out, I still wear this dress regularly:)
that looks great on you and you have such a talent for choosing interesting patterns that wearing them so well.
That pattern looks like a ton of work, but it’s worth it. Looks great, I guess it can be worn as a dress without a top underneath it too?
Thanks! Yes, it was just a cold day when we took photos.
I wouldn’t have chosen that pattern without seeing your version – yours looks great.
This is beautiful, and so much nicer than the pattern photos. All that work for those tucks was well worth the result. Beautiful.
I love it! And it looks fantastic on you. Love your phone pocket idea.
Your dress came out great. Simple, clean lines but still lots of interest when you look carefully. and i love me a dress with no closures!
This looks awesome! Love it on you!
All the work you put into this dress raises the bar on the original pattern. such a great job!
I like the plain back in this. It contrasts nicely with the detailed front. Little pockets were a great idea too.
Comments are closed.