It may be summer in the UK, but my latest make is a pattern from last winter’s Burda. I’m really pleased to have finished this; so pleased that I couldn’t wait for a nice day to get my other half to take the pictures!
The pattern is Burda 120-12-2011. The fabric was a lovely birthday present from my parents. My mother and I went fabric shopping looking for something for this pattern and eventually stumbled across this vibrant turquoise fabric tucked away in a corner of Cloth House on Berwick Street in London. It’s a viscose knit, so very easy to wear although not so much to sew with.
The original pattern was designed for wovens so I ended up making a few changes to make it work with the jersey. Because of the way the pattern has to be laid out on the fabric, the edge of the (already pretty low) neckline ends up being cut along the width of the fabric, where the maximum stretch is. The edge grew about three inches between cutting and sewing. I lined the bodice with the same fabric, rather than using facings, and put clear elastic in the neckline seam which pulled it back in a bit. I still had to sew up the v-neck a little way to make the neckline wearable.
The original design has hugely long waist ties that are intended to make a big bow at the back. The jersey is so drapey that a bow just looks droopy; a simple knot is better and means you can get away with much less length in the ties. Unfortunately I didn’t realise this until I’d made the whole thing up, so I had to hand my husband the shears and ask him to cut them off at about the right length.
Anyway I’m really pleased with this. Now I just need somewhere to wear it.