The psychedelic dress

Was it worth the wait? This dress has taken me a month to make. Now some of that is due to real life preventing me from sewing for a week or two, but even taking that into account this was a slow project. And I haven’t even hemmed it yet.
Vogue 8489

The pattern is Vogue 8489. I traced it rather than cutting it out because I wanted to lengthen the dress by a good foot and a half; the longest view on the original pattern comes to just below the knee and I wanted it to be floor length. The pattern pieces for the skirt are large to begin with, and by the time you’ve added all that length they’re uncontrollable. Combine that with slippery viscose knit and it’s a miracle this dress got finished at all. Every time I put down the pattern pieces one would make a break for it off the ironing board or down the back of the sewing table.

Amazingly I didn’t lose any cut pattern pieces during the process, although I did manage to cut a small hole in the bodice back when things shifted while trimming a seam. I patched it up with a bit of interfacing and zig-zagged over the top and you can’t see it at all in the photos. What you can see on the back view is that I eliminated the centre back seam on the bodice and bands. The pattern has a zip in that seam but it’s really not needed.

Vogue 8489

Anyway it’s done at last, and I like the result. Just need a bit more practice walking in my enormous 70s platform sandals.

Vogue 8489