Here’s my first ever attempt at sewing full-length trousers. I don’t wear trousers much. I have one pair of black RTW skinny jeans that comes out of the wardrobe every week or two for hardware-wrangling at work, but otherwise I’m normally to be found in dresses. This pair are Burda 103B-07-2010 made up in black stretch denim. Any resemblance to my RTW jeans is entirely intentional. I found a hole in them last month but couldn’t bring myself to start trying on replacements in the shops, so this is a straight replacement. And as is traditional in the sewing blogosphere, I now post pictures of myself in them and discuss the wrinkles around interesting bits of my anatomy.
The fit’s OK but not perfect. I added a bit too much width to the hips and didn’t notice the problem until after I’d top-stitched all the seams, when it too late to fix properly. Hence the slight bagginess around the crotch area. I’ll know not to do that another time.
This style has the side-seams placed a long way forward and an extra seam down the back of the leg. That ought to give more fitting opportunities but I think it worked against me because I added a bit of width to all three seams round the hips. With just two seams to adjust I’d probably not have ended up with quite so much extra room. They’re probably a bit long too, but I like my trousers longer rather than shorter. I’m paranoid about trousers looking too short.
And finally the obligatory photo of my backside, with wrinkles from excess fabric. Blogging has much to answer for. Although I should say I’m really perfectly happy with these. They’re a lot more wearable than the first dress I ever made.