Thanks for all the lovely comments about what I am going to have to call the Star Trek dress from now on!
My next project was a very plain long-sleeved T-shirt made from black wool jersey. I still buy T-shirts in the shops but it’s very difficult to find ones that are long enough in the body that I don’t get icy draughts around my middle. I haven’t found any I’ve really liked for a while so I thought I’d make one.
I have a T-shirt pattern that I adapted from McCalls 2401 a while ago by pinning the darts closed and tracing round it. I’d made a couple of T-shirts from it and knew it fitted OK, so I just put it on the jersey and cut it out, automatically adding an extra couple of inches length to body and sleeves as I usually do.
I’d obviously already added length to the original pattern before I traced it, because here’s the sleeve on the finished T-shirt. Bear in mind I’m bending my arm to be able to take the picture; with my hands by my sides you can just about see my fingertips.
Even if I hemmed it, which I wasn’t intending to do, the sleeves would still be unusually long.
On reflection I actually quite like the effect. I have permanently cold hands and it’s very cozy. But I do look forward to the day I cut out a pattern and it comes out the length I intended.