Archive for September, 2010

Thank you Vogue


A while ago I mentioned wanting to knock off a tartan Yohji Yamamoto dress I saw in Selfridges years ago. I finally bought some fabric for it in Glasgow. But the trouble is that once I started trying to sketch it I found I couldn’t recall very much detail about the style. It definitely had […]

Jumpsuit fabric


Vogue 8667 is slowly progressing. But I thought I’d get a proper tailor’s ham for pressing the princess seams, as my usual method of rolling up a towel and using that isn’t very satisfactory. So I’ve been shopping and visited all the usual suspects. Rather to my surprise I haven’t yet found anywhere that stocks […]

This is the bodice lining of Vogue 8667 basted together. I made a muslin of this pattern last week but was had problems with the fit of the back. This is my original muslin with the gapping at the back armhole and excess fabric folds on the back neckline. The main difference between the muslin […]

I’ve not made much progress on my current project this week so I’m going to muse randomly about old clothes instead. Be warned, navel-gazing ahead. I’m going to some friends’ ten year anniversary party this weekend, which I’m really looking forward to, and I’m wearing my black and white vintage maxidress. Which I also sometimes […]

I dashed to John Lewis after work today and they had the perfect red cupro lining to go with my red wool fabric from Glasgow. So in theory I’m all set for the next stage of the long drawn out Vogue 8667 project, which is to make the lining using my altered pattern pieces to […]

Here’s my muslin of Vogue 8667. And this is the pattern envelope: The muslin is made from cheap and cheerful glazed cotton I bought off the market as it’s practically impossible to get calico round here. The shiny effect is unintentional. I was intending to use the dull side of the fabric as the right […]

Just a very quick post today as I’m writing this on a borrowed computer. I recently bought this amazing 70s pattern on impulse from ZipZapKap. The more I look at this the more I want to make it, insane though it is. I think I’d stick with the colour scheme on the envelope but go […]