This is Burda 116-08-2011, inspired by Allison’s version. I think this might be the single fastest dress I ever made. I started tracing the pattern on Saturday morning. Then I cut the fabric out. Then I thought I might as well thread the overlocker and the sewing machine, and then once those were threaded I figured I might as well sew a seam or two. By the end of the afternoon I only had the hem and finishing the armholes left to do, and those happened on the Sunday morning.
It’s come out very 1980s. My fabric is a stretch poplin which isn’t nearly as drapey as the one Burda used. However I like the blousing on the top half. So it is possible to get away with a slightly less drapey fabric. It is definitely sized for a stretch fabric though as there’s not a large amount of ease on the hips. I think I’d go up a size on the bottom half if I was making this again.
I think this is a great hot-weather dress. It’s cool and comfortable without being too casual. I particularly appreciate the high collar because the back of my neck burns really easily in the sun. And it has pockets, which more dresses should have.
On that subject, I didn’t make the pockets in the way Burda prescribed. The original design has one-piece pocket bags which are top-stitched to the dress front. You finish the front edge of the pocket by turning under an extra-wide seam allowance on the dress front side seams. I forgot to add the extra allowance when I was cutting, so I cut an extra set of pocket pieces and made regular side-seam pockets. I think I prefer my version anyway as I wasn’t keen on the idea of the top-stitching in the first place.
You know, I could see this in bias-cut stripes…I might have to make another.
Filed under: Burda, Dressmaking, Finished | 14 Comments
Tags: Burda, dress, Dressmaking, grey, Sewing