Sorry I’ve been so slow about replying to comments lately…I’ve been having some time off work but that just seems to make me busier! Thanks for all the lovely comments and tips. I have quite a few things I want to try out to make cutting out fabric on the floor easier now – it certainly sounds like getting a big piece of cardboard or lino is the way forward.
But on to the eureka (or possibly ‘doh’ moment). Vogue 8633 is one of my favourite patterns. It’s a Easy Options pattern, which means there are all sorts of variations, but my favourite is the one below. And you should definitely check out AlisonC’s stunning border print version.
I have never been able to get the fit quite right on the bodice of this pattern. On my first muslin I got huge diagonal creases from the shoulder to the end of the neckline slit, and despite much faffing I never really solved the problem, as you can see below on both of my versions. My fit books say that this is caused by square shoulders, but it’s not a problem I have ever had on any other pattern. Letting out the end of the shoulder seams helped but didn’t cure it.
I’m about to make it again in a fantastic black stretch twill, and I really want to solve the fit problem this time. I got the pattern out of the envelope to have a look at it…and was astonished to find I hadn’t done a full bust adjustment for the first two versions. I can get away without one in some styles, but not a very fitted bodice like this. No wonder the first two versions pull where they do! So I’ve done that and am off to make another muslin now. Fingers crossed.
Filed under: Dressmaking, Fitting, Sewing, Vogue | 11 Comments
Tags: Dressmaking, Fitting, Sewing, Vogue