From simple to complex
Here are a couple of pictures of my finished version of Vogue 8634.
I am pleased with the way it turned out in the end. This could be a real instant gratification pattern if you don’t spend ages fussing with the collar like I did!
For my next project I’m taking on something that’s quite the opposite, Vogue 1087.
This is rated ‘Advanced’ by Vogue. I am by no means an advanced seamstress, but I’ve read all the reviews on Pattern Review and they seem to agree that if you follow the instructions carefully it will work out, although it makes very little sense until the end.
I’ve got as far as cutting out and marking a muslin. Both involved coming out of my comfort zone. I can normally see how to do basic pattern alterations to get the fit right, but the pieces on this one are such unusual shapes that I’m really not sure what to do. I’m making the size that’s closest to my measurements with no alterations for this run; hopefully once I try it on I’ll be able to see what needs altering. And if I can’t see, that means it fits, right?
Marking was also a bit of a challenge because there are a lot more symbols than most patterns. I used four different colours of tailor tacking to get them all. I would normally miss out the symbols I know I don’t use – for example the ‘end of zipper’ markings. My zips never quite seem to match up to them in practice and I get much better zip insertions by ignoring the markings. It’s possible that there are markings on this one that I can live without, but I won’t know until I start putting it together. There are squares, two sizes of circle, triangles, and notches, and right now I am not sure what some of them are for at all.
So this is either going to be an interesting learning experience or an epic fail. Possibly both.
Filed under: Dressmaking, Finished, Sewing, Vogue | 2 Comments
Tags: Dressmaking, Sewing, Vogue