I often find myself imagining a project and then being completely unable to find suitable fabric to produce it with. We’re fairly short on fabric shops where I live so serious fabric shopping means taking a whole day and travelling to London. I know a lot of people buy online, but I find I really need to touch fabric in order to have a good idea of whether it will work for me or not.
Only being able to shop for fabric occasionally means I often use fabric that’s ‘good enough’ – if I held out for ‘perfect’ I’d hardly sew at all! However if I could wish up any fabric I wanted, regardless of price or availability, this is what I’d go for:
- Very stretchy wool jersey (maybe with a bit of lycra?) in white and black. This would be t-shirts and very simple dresses with cowl necks
- Lightweight wool doubleknit in black, white, and red for 1960s style dresses
- Tonic suiting in yellow/black and green/black just because it’s gorgeous
- Black and white printed chiffon to be a maxi dress
- Quilted silk in a neutral, preferably olive green or brown for a skirt
- White wool tweed for a very ladylike boat-necked dress
Does anyone else have a fantasy fabric list?
Filed under: Fabric | 2 Comments